Posted by esbvm on May 23rd, 2012
One of our esteemed patrons, Bishop Richard Chartres is to join us for this celebration and is to preside at our ESBVM ecumenical office. Bishop Vahan Hovhanessian, the Armenian Bishop in London is also to join us for the occasion and the President Elect of the Methodist Conference, Revd Mark Wakelin has been invited and will endeavour to be with us subject to commitments earlier in the day.
This year the Ecumenical Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary (ESBVM) marks the 45th anniversary of ESBVM Foundation by Martin Gillett and other ecumenical partners in an enterprise of vision and courage. Much work remains to be done in this still sensitive area of ecumenism and our anniversary reminds of the need of constancy to purpose.
It is hoped that many of our members will join us for this occasion, which will be followed by a simple reception.
We have been graciously and warmly welcomed to come to St Andrew by the Wardrobe by the Rector, the Rev’d Guy Treweek, whose wife happens to be the current Archdeacon of Hackney, to hold an occasion marking this event at 5.00pm on the evening of the 30th May 2012, which is the eve of the feast of the Visitation in some traditions, for Evening Prayer at which we will pray our ESBVM Ecumenical Office.
The ESBVM Office we are to pray together has secured the approval of use over a number of years and in many venues including the previous occasion of marking the 40th Anniversary of foundation held at Lambeth Palace.
St. Andrew by the Wardrobe which Ben Saul, M.A. ARCO who directs the Girls’ choir in the church, has pointed out has the additional dedication of ‘and St. Ann’ after the merging of St Ann’s, Blackfriars after the great Fire of London. In the church there is a statue [dated to around 1500] of St Ann, mother of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who is shown holding the Virgin Mary, who in turn holds the Christ child. The St Andrew’s Girls’ Choir will sing The Magnificat.
The particular reason for the choice of this venue is the association we have there with one of our deceased members the Revd George Boorne TIMMS, (1910-1997), Archdeacon of Hackney (1971) who through his role as Archdeacon had a connection there hence the inclusion as the final hymn (Tune : Abbot’s Leigh) of George Timms’ Sing we of the Blessèd Mother.
The church has two main doors, making it accessible from both St Andrew’s Hill and Queen Victoria Street. The church is situated on the east side of St Andrew’s Hill. From Ludgate Hill turn south down Creed Lane (two short blocks from the front of St Paul’s Cathedral). At the bottom of Creed Lane turn left into Carter Lane and immediately turn right into St Andrew’s Hill with the church situated 50 yards along the road.
Approaching along Queen Victoria Street, the church is situated on the north side of the road, halfway between the Millennium and Blackfriars Bridge. The church is set up on a hill with a sloping garden in front, wrought iron gates and a flight of steps. When approaching from along Queen Victoria Street: in order to enter the church via the north door on St Andrew’s Hill where there are fewer steps, walk up the southern section of St Andrew’s Hill from Queen Victoria Street to the Pub & Eating House, behind which the church is situated.
The nearest Underground stations are St Paul’s and Mansion House and Blackfriars which it seems has recently been re-opened.